Cult of Orpheus is celebrating its fifth anniversary this year, and forming a troupe! We are currently seeking an operatic baritone based in the Portland, Oregon area. As we grow and premiere new works it’s the perfect time to join forces with Portland’s only all-original opera and art-song company!
As a troupe member, you will have first right of refusal on concert and opera roles for your vocal range in Cult of Orpheus productions. You will also be a recording artist on this year’s recording projects. (See below for our 2018 schedule.)
Also, our first recording project will put you in the spotlight with two short song-cycles for baritone: a three-song cycle (with piano) of excerpts from the Dhammapada (early Buddhist teachings), and two sonnets by Rainer Maria Rilke for baritone, cello, and guitar.
All productions are professionally compensated, and recording projects also include contract for a portion of artist’s royalties. Troupe members are expected to participate as available in some fundraising and promotional activities.
Interested? Please send a letter of interest along with a link to audio or video performance samples to music (at) cultoforpheus.org. We can’t wait to hear you!
- March/April: recording project, Sacred Works I
- May: Antigone and Haimon workshop (new opera, unrehearsed sing-through)
- Saturday, June 23, 7 pm: Sacred Works I release concert
- Saturday, August 25, 8 pm: Fifth Anniversary Concert
- September/October: Happy Hour Volume I, short opera premiere, rehearsals and performances
- November: recording project, Viva’s Holiday: An Opera in One Act
- December: Viva’s Holiday CD release concert
Rilke Sonnet to Orpheus, “Ein Gott vermags”
Viva’s Holiday, Scene 3 Aria (Dad):
The Emerald Tablet (vocal quartet) excerpts: