Cult of Orpheus • underground opera
CALL FOR STORIES FROM PORTLAND AUTHORS
fiction • memoir • dramatic scenes • published or unpublished
comic, poignant, weird, etc. • excerpts/abridgements okay
Cult of Orpheus, creator of Viva’s Holiday
, is creating a new production in 2017 in collaboration with local authors.
This operatic “anthology” will feature three to five stories adapted as original micro-operas, performed in a non-traditional space. Story authors retain rights, own part of opera publishing (as co-librettist), & consult on libretto adaptation. There will be a modest performance royalty awarded, plus book sales and audience-building opportunities at each opera performance.
• up to 3 pieces from a single author will be considered
• please select specific short pieces (we don’t have time to read entire collections!)
• stories must have character interaction and dialog; 2 to 4 characters
• preferred: stories with a key dramatic moment and/or strong character interactions
• story, excerpt, or abridgement should be readable out loud in 7 minutes or less
• UPDATE: call is extended through September 30, 2016
To have your work(s) considered, or to nominate any local author’s story
, send an email to email@example.com
with the subject “Call for stories”.
In the email, include your name and contact information, and for each piece to be considered, include:
- brief summary (< 100 words)
- publication details (either “unpublished”, or where it has been published)
- attachment of full text or excerpt as .txt, .rtf, .pdf, or .docx file (use separate files for multiple works)
This call for stories will remain open through September 30, 2016. Please share with your literary friends and communities!